Skip to main content

This Is Me Only Concentrating On The Redford Sweater.







Yarn: Garnstudio Drops Safran

shade #09 navy

Needles: 2.5 mm (for tubular cast on), 3.0 mm for the ribbing

and 4.0 mm for the cabled section

I hope you all caught the irony in this post's title. Instead of finishing the Redford sweater I finished this hat. However I have also finished the first sleeve of the sweater and seamed the parts of the body together so there's not much left to knit either. It won't be long before it's ready as well.

I really liked this cap design and since I needed something else than the Redford sweater to knit; I thought this would be small and quick enough a project to distract me when needed. The cable design has a lot happening with all kinds of twisting and separating and twining again. It certainly is something to keep your mind occupied; a good project for when you don’t want to think anything else than what is on your needles. And Otto being sick as well as me having a really hard week at work the distraction was welcomed.

I’m not sure if I like the tubular cast on method for this cap. Yes, it makes the bottom edge of the cap a bit thicker, but I don’t think it looks very refined or neat. Or maybe I just didn’t do it right or well enough because I couldn't get the stitches to align neatly. The first few rows took a long time to knit and I don’t think the effort put in it was rewarded because the end result wasn’t anything spectacular. I have done tubular cast on before and liked the result but I’ve always done 1x1 ribbing. For the Hutchin you had to rearrange the stitches after a couple of rows to get to 2x2 ribbing from the initial 1x1 and at that point it got messy. I like this cap design so I will most likely knit another one, but I’m pretty sure the next time I will use the long-tail method to cast on.



I was also a bit unsure about knitting fingering weight yarn (or in my case sport weight) with 4.0 mm needles as the pattern called for in the cabled section. I was afraid the gauge would be too loose and there would be holes, especially since I used cotton yarn which has no fuzziness to cover the gaps. The yarn seemed to stretch quite a lot while knitting, but after washing it the size and fit seemed fine, although rather a bit on the loose side than tight. I would recommend knitting the cables with 3.0 mm or 3.5mm needles if you want a tighter fit.

I like how lightweight the cap is; perfect for this time of the year, but the next time I’m knitting it I will probably use DK weight yarn to make it a bit more wearable. The season for lightweight caps is sadly very short in Finland. 

Another project completed using my vast amount of stashed blue yarns. Stash busted: 1.5 skeins, 75 grams and 264 meters. 



Comments

  1. The hat is beautiful, the colour is very good for the pattern! Cotton cables, yea!
    I think that tublar cast on for k2p2 ribbing is always less neat than for k1p1. Looking in store bought, industrial made sweaters, there's that little odd "decoration" in the cast on edge. Simple long tail cast on looks better for k2p2, and there are perhaps other stretchy cast on methods to use than tubular cast on when more stretch is wanted. In a way, tubular cast on for a hat edge could be a bit overdoing it, that much extra stretch is not needed there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Salut Chéri! Beret Pattern.

Here is the pattern for the berets I've knitted. The name for the beret is from the t-shirt I was wearing when I took the project photos of the first beret for Ravelry. I thought the name suited the beret, since it's quite classical take on the hat that has become the icon of everything French. Happy knitting! Salut Chéri! You need:  yarn: 105-125 m (114 - 137 yards) worsted weight yarn. The sample was knitted with Novita Joki ( 104 m or 114 yard per 50g) needles : 3.5 mm and 4.0 mm (US size 4 and 6) circular needles (40 cm or 16 inches) size 4.0 mm (US size 6) DPNs 6 stitch markers , one of a different color to indicate the beginning of the round Gauge : 10 sts and 16 rounds = 5 cm (2 inches) in straight Stockinette stitch with 4.0 mm needles Cast on 88 sts on 3.5mm circular needle. Join in round, careful not to twist the stitches. Place a marker to indicate the beginning of the round. Knit in straight Stockinette stitch (knit all

Cloud Mittens - the Pattern part 1.

This is so long overdue, but I have now finally managed to write down the pattern for the Cloud mittens. Here it is, my Christmas present to all you guys! Enjoy! CLOUD MITTENS ( Here is the link to the pattern on Ravelry ) You need: 125 m or 135 yards of DK weight yarn (blue sample knit with Novita Wool, 100% wool, 135 m/ 50g) 125 m or 135 yards of sport weight yarn for the lining (blue sample: Garnstudio Drops Baby Alpaca Silk, 70% alpaca, 30% silk, 167 m/ 50 g)  Needles : a set of 2.5 mm (US 1 1/2) DPNs or circular needles if you prefer Magic Loop method like me Gauge: 16 stitches and 22 rows = 5 cm (2 inches) To fit an average woman hand Intermediate knitting skills required LEFT MITTEN Cast on 54 stitches loosely on size 2.5 mm double pointed needles or a circular needle if you like knitting with magic loop method like me. I used the long-tail method to cast on. You can place a marker (beginning of the round) if you want, the

Saving A Curling Scarf.

Don't you just hate it when a piece you've spent hours working on doesn't turn out the way you imagined it? It looks like this... ...when it should be more like this. After just a couple of rows into the Trellis scarf I noticed the cast on edge started to roll upwards ever so slightly. As I continued to knit the curling got worse and worse until it seemed to calm down when the scarf measured 10 cm or so from the CO edge. I didn't really stress much about it thinking it would be easily fixed later on and continued to knit further. Halfway through knitting the scarf I faced another problem with the scarf. The CO edge still rolled up and now the sides started to curl inwards. So badly that the scarf lost more than half of it's width. I hate it when it happens. If this was something I designed myself I could maybe live with the mistake, but when it's a pattern that is published I would assume such things would have been fixed. Or at least